Aug 23, 2010

Loaded Smashed Potato Salad Recipe

Loaded Smashed Potato Salad

This is my all time favorite potato salad recipe. It's more like a loaded baked potato salad than your traditional picnic potato salad. It's pretty easy and makes a lot. I think it tastes better the day after you make it, which is great if you like to plan ahead.

Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs. potatoes - washed and quartered (I use either red new potatoes or those little yukon gold, which ever is on sale)
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 1/2 T spicy mustard
  • freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste
  • 5 slices bacon - cooked and crumbled
  • 4 green onions - sliced, including green parts
  • 3 eggs - hard boiled and diced
Directions:

First cover the potatoes in a large pot with 1" of water and heat to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes.



While the potatoes are cooking, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, spicy mustard and salt and pepper. Mix well.

Dressing for Smashed Potato Salad


Once the potatoes are done, remove from heat and drain water. Return to low heat and stir around to remove any remaining water. Remove from heat and smash the potatoes into small chunks - I use a pastry cutter.

Smashing Potatoes for Potato Salad


While the potatoes are still warm, add the sour cream mixture and mix until combined. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.



While the potato mixture is cooling, prepare the bacon, onions and eggs. Then add to the potato mixture and stir until combined.

Loading up the Smashed Potato Salad


Refrigerate at least another hour, but preferably overnight. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. this looks so good! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From now on we are doing trades...each time I take pictures of your daughter (whether you ask or I ask) you bring me some edible dish so I can avoid cooking. It works. I like photography. You like cooking. Is it wrong to barter with my sister? Probably, but this post make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, does that mean food for the entire clan or just you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lesley. I pinned this over a year ago but now Pinterest is saying that your link looks suspicious? Just thought you'd like the heads up in case there was something you could change to help that?

    ReplyDelete

I know it can be a little scary but go on, I'd love to hear from you!